Wednesday 24 April 2013

I’m 1 year old today

It’s my birthday today; not my birth birthday, I have two birthdays now, like the Queen. It is 1 year since I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. What a year its been; I’ve moved house twice, given up driving, started a blog, appeared in the Times newspaper, acquired a walking stick, had a go in a mobility scooter…

I’ve also tried hard to set my thoughts and emotions in order; a diagnosis picks you up and shakes you until you are all jumbled up. It takes patience to fit the pieces together again. Some pieces don’t fit anymore so you have to grieve and learn to live with the gaps. This has been the challenge of the first year living with the awareness of my Parkinson’s and will continue to be in the years ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment