Friday 6 September 2013

Parkinson's turbulence

I am directed to my seat, number 26G, by the doctors. The seat is cramped and uncomfortable but most aeroplane seats are. I am strapped in and I cannot move. It takes three months to taxi to the runway; eventually on diagnosis day, the three words "you have Parkinson's" triggers the engines, which pushes me back into the seat and moments later the plane lifts off the ground.

Once in the air the captain makes an announcement: "Ladies and Gentlemen, this is Parkinson's speaking. Welcome on board. If you would all like to turn and look at our newest passenger in seat 26G. Everyone say goodbye and hello to Jonathan! During the flight today, which lasts a lifetime, I hope you enjoy your personal physical and emotional turbulence..."

A Parkinson's flight has no known destination or escape but there is a guarantee of turbulence...

No comments:

Post a Comment