Friday 19 July 2013

Parkinson’s fly

A fly keeps circling above my head, going round and round until it suddenly sees the outside world beyond the glass of the window, and with reckless haste throws itself towards the world; of course it is oblivious to the glass and protests with a loud buzzing sound as it crashes into the unexpected solidity of transparency. Surprisingly, it resumes its circular flight path and launches itself against the glass…again and again.

Parkinson’s is like the glass of the window and I am the fly; engaging with Parkinson’s with anger or frustration or disappointment means crashing into the glass over and over again. I need to recognise the solidity of the glass and fly alongside it; or better still look around me and explore all the possibilities of the room and the house I find myself in.

No comments:

Post a Comment