Tuesday 8 October 2013

It neither proves nor disproves my worth

I sat down and turned to face the interview panel. I was nervous, my palms were sweaty and there was a knot in my stomach.

"Ok, Jonathan, tell us a little about yourself..."

Deep breath, "well..." Before I could finish Parkinson's, who had sneaked into the interview room behind me, screamed at the top of his lungs and then ran up to each interviewer in turn and slapped them hard in face. Tables were overturned and coffee cups were thrown on the floor. Before sitting down next to me Parkinson's shamelessly defecated on the floor.

I continued, "Whatever I say you are going to judge me how you wish. You are going to selectively listen to me and try to make me into the person you want me to be. Of course I don’t know what you want so I’m not going to play that game anymore. I’m just going to be me. Whether Parkinson’s defecates on your nice clean floor or not…"

“Whatever Parkinson's does, it neither proves nor disproves the value I or anybody else can see in me. Parkinson’s is part of me for sure but I am bigger than its influence. Other people can choose to see only the symptoms, they make Parkinson’s noticeable…”

No comments:

Post a Comment